Thursday, March 14, 2024

Reflecting on the Significance of March


 As the first buds of spring begin to bloom, I find myself reflecting on the significance of March in my life. It’s a month that has always held a special place in my heart, though it took me years to fully understand why.


Growing up, I was always a bit of a rebel, preferring to start new ventures in the fall rather than the spring. My father would often chide me for this, insisting that spring was the time for new beginnings. I never really understood his words until much later in life, when I began to see the patterns that had been woven into the fabric of my existence.

In college, a simple question about my heritage led me on a journey of self-discovery. I learned that I am mostly Irish, with a touch of Native American and Dutch/Scottish ancestry. This revelation helped me understand my deep connection to the Celtic traditions that are so richly celebrated in March.


St. Patrick’s Day, with its vibrant green hues, leprechauns, and shamrocks, is a celebration of my Irish heritage. It’s a day when I feel a deep connection to my roots, a day when I honor the legacy of my ancestors.


March is also a month of personal joy and celebration. Both of my children, Rylee and Colton, were born in this month. Their birthdays are a reminder of the love and happiness they have brought into my life.


My creative journey, too, has been deeply intertwined with March. My band’s first gig, the release of several of my albums, and even the start of my podcast, Lunch With Doug, all happened in March. It’s as if the universe conspired to align my creative awakening with the arrival of spring.


But March is not just about personal milestones. It’s a month that holds global significance. The “Ides of March,” known as a deadline for settling debts in the Roman calendar, is also remembered as the day Julius Caesar was assassinated. March babies are blessed with two birthstones, aquamarine and bloodstone, symbolizing courage. The daffodil, a symbol of rebirth and new beginnings, is the birth flower for March. The World Meteorological Day on March 23rd marks the start of meteorological spring in the Northern Hemisphere, while the Vernal Equinox heralds the arrival of astronomical spring.


March also holds religious significance. Some theories suggest that Jesus Christ might have been born in the spring, possibly in March. Furthermore, March sometimes hosts the holy celebration of Easter, commemorating the resurrection of Jesus Christ. The roots of Easter lie in ancient celebrations related to the spring equinox, symbolizing the triumph of life over death and the importance of fertility. In modern times, Easter has become associated with celebrations emphasizing springtime and new life.


As I look back, I realize that March has been a silent companion on my journey, a backdrop to the unfolding story of my life. It’s a month that has given me much to celebrate and much to ponder. So, here’s to March, a month of new beginnings, of celebration, and of reflection.


Happy birthday to my beautiful daughter Rylee, and soon, to my son Colton. And to everyone else, may you find your own reasons to celebrate and cherish the month of March.


Next year, I plan to embrace March with even more enthusiasm. But for now, I’ll leave you with this thought: Every month, every moment is a new beginning. Embrace it, celebrate it, and most importantly, make it count. 🍀


No comments:

Post a Comment